Sub 2:50 was the target, and while I thought this would be a challenge, the excellent performances of some of my training partners in Manchester the previous week gave me a lift.
The pace required for breaking 2:50 was 6:29 per mile, and I decided to hit this at mile 2, allowing the first mile to warm into it. As it turned, the start made it difficult to get into that pace immediately, but after 1 km I soon found my rhythm. I set off with club mates Mike, Tal and Nathan, but all were targeting faster times, so left them to get on with their business.
The first 5km is a net downhill, so knew I might get a couple of faster miles in , though at the same time, I didn't want to get carried away.
The first 5km came in at 20:02, 7 secs inside target split of 20:09.
However, my garmin seemed to be clocking the miles early. I was a little concerned as I was averaging 6:25's at this point, but I was obviously running a slightly longer route and taking a wide line!
10km came in at 40:02, and I felt good, arriving at Cutty Sark to a wall of sound from the thousands of supporters out there. It's one of the highlights of the race.
Crossing Tower Bridge sand onto the half way mark, I clocked 1:24:44, absolutely on the money, though not affording much leeway! From that point on I could look forward to huge support from my club mates who were gathering at Westferry. Knowing they were there en masse gave me a huge lift, and I think caused me to run my fastest 5km split of 19:52.
Isle of Dogs is the hardest section for me, so I tried to really dig in between 15-18. At this point I overtook 'Marathon Man' Rob Young, an inspirational lad who has run 370+ marathons for the calendar year - I shared a handshake with him and expressed how in awe I was of him before pressing on. Quite frankly the fact that he was running at sub 2:50 pace
Until then was incredible - I believe he went onto run 3:07, including a 10 min interview! He also had to be finished by 1:45 to get a flight back to the U.S. To continue with his race across America. Which he's leading!
18 miles in and I caught James Cracknell, who is worked with years before as his team massage therapist for a Lands End - John O Groats record attempt a few years ago. He looked awful though, really in pain. I guess he's used to putting himself in a dark place though!
Canary Wharf was causing my garmin to go all over the shop, with the tunnels and skyscrapers interfering with the signal. Splits were a little off, so I was trying to do the calculations in my head. I was extremely tired at this point, but knew I couldn't afford to slow down if I was to achieve my goal.
My club mate supporters were out in force, and again I was able to share some high fives with them at mile 20. From there, the run in along Shadwell Highway is a slog, and I was trying to focus on getting to Tower Hill - there is a short downhill before hitting the embankment for the final 5km.
I hit 24 miles at 2:34:34 and was trying to work out if I could manage it - at that point I ran my slowest 2 miles of 6:43 and 6:41, though seeing a bunch of friends gave me a real lift. Turning at Westminster onto Birdcage Walk I had 600 to go, but needed to do it on 2:00 - a stretch of I was doing it on the track as an interval, so at the end of a marathon, I had no chance.
As I entered the Mall, James Cracknell pulled alongside me and we had a bit of a spirited finish, and I finished just ahead, clocking 2:50:11.
Not disappointed at all, a big 7 min 33 PB and over the moon with the race.
Stats as follows:
Distance Covered - 26.44 miles
Ave Pace - 6:26 per mile / 4:03 per km
First Half 1:24:44
Second Half - 1:25:27
+ split of 43 secs
Race weight - 72.4 kg
HR Ave - battery went after one mile!!
Fastest 5km - 19:52 (20-25 km)
Slowest 5km - 20:37 (35-40 km)
Ave Cadence - 181 spm
Ave Stride Length 1.38 m

No comments:
Post a Comment