Sunday, 22 February 2015

2014 Review



2014 was a funny year for me. My major goals at the beginning of the year were based around improving my half marathon time, and I gave myself three opportunities, with Wokingham, Hampton Court and Paddock Wood.
Wokinghham was cancelled due to the weather, Hampton Court was a disaster due to Marshall sending everyone the wrong way, and Paddock Wood I struggled and finished 16 seconds outside my PB, at 1:20:55.
So not the start to the season I was after.
What did I learn? Probably that training for a marathon is the best way to improve your half marathon running times (and your 10 mile, 10km and 5km for that matter!!) - I simply didn't have the speed endurance that you pick up from doing the long 20 mile plus runs with tempo efforts thrown in.
I did, however, manage some track pb's, knotchong up the following;
5000m - 16:52 at Highgate invitation meet
3000m - 9:55 at Chasers Track Day
1 mile - 5:01 (twice, at a club session, and at the self Transcendance relays)

I had targeted two triathlons over the summer - Outlaw Half Ironman in Nottingham in June, followed by Frankfurt Ironman in July. Both fantastic races, with the latter being a real test. Whilst they were fun to race, triathlon training, particularly ironman training really affects my running, and it took me months to get some basic speed back, and yo a level that I was happy with. Unfortunately, a Plantar Fasciitis issue set me back further in September, and kept me out of action for 6 weeks.
The result being that my comeback race at Cabbage Patch 10 was a complete disaster, when at 4 miles I could no longer hold 6 min miling and had to jog back with a friend. 
The Cross Country season started, and whilst I do really enjoy it, I always struggle in the muddier, technical courses, as I see myself as more of a rhythm runner - I like to find my pace and stick to it! 
So, all in all, I felt a little disappointed - I had put in some solid blocks of training, but without getting enough milage in I wasn't getting the results I felt I could be capable of. 2015 will be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment